June 19th to 27th in Auberge Universel, Montreal
The Quebec Invitational Championship took place from June 19th to 27th in Auberge Universel, Montreal. The 10-player round robin competition also served as a qualifier for the Montreal International Chess tournament to be held later in August.
Grandmaster Anton Kovalyov, formerly of Russia, but now resident of Canada with Argentinian passport, won the tournament and was declared a new Quebec Chess Champion. In the last round Kovalyov beat IM Renier Castellanos, who also recently moved to Quebec, to finish the race with 7.5 points. Kovalyov’s main competitor GM Mark Bluvshtein, who enjoyed a half point lead before the final day, was stunned by GM Vinay Bhat and ended up second with 7 points.
Anton Kovalyov (Argentina), Mark Bluvshtein (Canada), Vinay Bhat (USA) and IM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon (Canada) were automaticaly granted with invitations for the International Festival d’échecs de Montréal.
Round 9 results:
Mark Bluvshtein 0-1 Vinay Bhat
Renier Castellanos 0-1 Anton Kovalyov
Bator Sambuev ½-½ Sylvain Barbeau
François Léveillé ½-½ Thomas Roussel-Roozmon
Ling Feng Ye ½-½ Lefong Hua
1. GM Anton Kovalyov (2556 Argentina) – 7.5
2. GM Mark Bluvshtein (2558 Canada) – 7.0
3. GM Vinay Bhat (2475 USA) – 6.5
4. IM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon (2479 Canada) – 5.5
5. GM Bator Sambuev (2498 Russia) – 4.5
6. FM Sylvain Barbeau (2357 Canada) – 3.5
7-8. FM François Léveillé (2261 Canada) and IM Renier Castellanos (2446 Spain) – 3.0
9. FM Lefong Hua (2283 Canada) – 2.5
10. NM Ling Feng Ye (2179 Canada) – 2.0