This is Ivanchuk’s fourth trophy in Havana
Vassily Ivanchuk took a safe draw against Ian Nepomniachtchi in the last round of the 45th Capablanca Memorial to win the Elite Group with 7.0 points from ten games. This was Ivanchuk’s fourth participation and fourth victory in Havana, after he won the tournaments in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
The Elite Group was a six-player double round robin with Vassily Ivanchuk as top seed. Ian Nepomniachtchi finished second, full point behind the winner, while Cuban top player Leinier Dominguez and Nigel Short of England shared the third place. Lazaro Bruzon Batista and Evgeny Alekseev did not win a single game and remained together on the last place.
Leinier Dominguez (photo by Frank Hoppe)
Round 10 results:
GM Ivanchuk Vassily – GM Nepomniachtchi Ian ½ – ½
GM Short Nigel D – GM Bruzon Batista Lazaro 1 – 0
GM Dominguez Perez Leinier – GM Alekseev Evgeny 1 – 0
1. GM Ivanchuk Vassily UKR 2741 - 7.0
2. GM Nepomniachtchi Ian RUS 2695 - 6.0
3. GM Dominguez Perez Leinier CUB 2713 - 5.5
4. GM Short Nigel ENG 2685 - 5.5
5. GM Bruzon Batista Lazaro CUB 2668 - 3.0
6. GM Alekseev Evgeny RUS 2700 - 3.0